Tuesday, August 11, 2015

My 2 favorite recipes of the week and 2 blogs you should follow.




Some of my most vivid memories as a child took place in the kitchen alongside my mom as I would help her make cinnamon rolls, apple strudel, or Christmas cookies. I remember being excited to become an adult,
because to me it meant I could create grocery lists and make whatever meal I was in the mood for. 

Growing up, I would bring along a notebook and pen when I visited family and friends, just so I could skim through their cookbooks and copy down recipes to some day make. I would buy cookbooks on sale and watch them increase in size as I would mark every recipe I wanted to make. The Food Network show became my cookbook in high school. Again, I would take out my notebook and watch Rachel Ray with thirty minute meals or Sandra from Semi-homemade. Since money was scarce growing up, especially while I was in high school, it meant limited creativity in the kitchen. Therefore, my sisters and I would sometimes add a twist to our Top Ramen or fried rice and pretend we were on our own food network show. :) 

It wasn't until I entered graduate school and had my own part time job that I began focusing on becoming a good cook. Part of this was because I had finally felt like I entered adulthood! And secondly, I had a boyfriend (who is now my husband) that I wanted to impress via his stomach. Isn’t there a silly saying…”the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach”? Sometimes I find this to be partially true. ;) Haha!

During my first year of marriage, I relied so much on pinterest (I still do!) and the Williams and Sonoma Bride and Groom cookbook. Although I don’t have the recipes I stored away as a kid, I do feel blessed to have the opportunity to make a variety of meals and baked goods. But I’m still an amateur so simple is best and by simple, I mean recipes that contain ingredients I recognize and know where to find in a grocery store, limited ingredients, common ingredients, and cook time is minimal.

Therefore, I decided to begin a new “In the Kitchen” post on this blog where I'll be featuring recipes I love from blogs I follow. 

Coffee Cake Donuts from Off Beat and Inspired - Click here for recipe!

 

  • When I first found this recipe, I almost didn’t make it, because I didn’t want to have to buy cake flour. Thankfully google notified me that you can make cake flour using unbleached flour and cornstarch. Hooray!

Buttermilk Biscuits from Local Milk Blog - Click here for recipe!



  • These are definitely some of the best biscuits I've had. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment