Monday, March 20, 2017

Books I'm reading this spring


I've realized that upon entering any used bookstore, I seem to have the inclination that I must walk out with a book or two, or perhaps three. There is always some sort of justification for the books I want. I tend to think it will
improve my knowledge of history, expand my understanding of literature, make me more aware, peak my interest in places abroad, and influence my writing for the better. But if there is one thing I've realized, it is that somehow the majority of my pickings revolve around Europe, and more specifically, Paris. If you share my interest in the city of lights, you'll probably like this season's book list.

SPRING 2017 BOOK LIST:


Following the journey of American artists, authors, scientists, physicians, and leaders across the Atlantic to the city of Paris, this book recounts tales of these individuals during the 19th century, when Paris was still a city quite unknown to Americans, yet beckoning many for its allure and reputation of art, fashion, music, and intellect.


2. Seven Ages of Paris by Alistair Horne

A historical timeline of the beloved city of Paris is reviewed in this book. The reader is taken on a journey through the different lineages of royalty and the building of Paris, and becomes witness to the several threats and destruction of the city as it endures and rebuilds itself.  


3. A Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

As a result of all the books I've read on Paris, it seems Parisian bookshops have been a constant attraction for a long time, drawing many to its stands of rare and affordable books. Therefore, I couldn't resist this book, in which the setting begins in a little Paris bookshop where the owner is blessed with the gift of being able to identify just which book meets the emotional need of its buyers. He then sets out on his own adventure as he finally chooses to read a letter that has been long left for him by his once love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment