Sunday, October 18, 2015

Feeling Parisian...my 5 favorite Paris books


I haven't experienced the dreaminess of Paris yet, but I have experienced a glimpse of it vicariously through books, blogs, and pinterest. And the more I read about it, the more I am fascinated by its history, architecture, art, and
fashion. Therefore, I thought it would be fitting to share a blog post featuring my favorite books about Paris. Two of the books listed have been written by the same author, but she is definitely one of my favorites. I dream of discovering Paris according to her Paris to the Past book, which takes you through Paris by chronological order, so you can witness the changes from the Middle Ages, to the Renaissance, to the Age of Louis XIV, and more.



1. Paris to the Past: Traveling Through French History by Train by Ina Caro

This is my favorite book! I came across it when my husband and I were on our way to a coffee shop. He needed to study and I needed a book to read. I walked into a Barnes and Nobles and the cover of this book and its title grabbed my attention. I've read through it at least three times! It brings history to life and creates an excitement for learning about the past. Historical sites are visited for their beauty, but also for the purpose behind which they were made, and you get little snippets of drama that took place in them. In addition, she has laid out the chapters by train rides, so you can pretty much use it like a travel guide.

2. The Road from the Past: Traveling through History in France by Ina Caro

Because my husband saw how much I loved Ina Caro's Paris to the Past, he surprised me with this book for our 1 year anniversary. This book shares her travels through French history by car. I enjoy it, because it isn't focused solely on Paris, but takes you on a chronological journey through the history of France. I would love to retrace her steps and do the same one day.

3. Lunch in Paris: A love story with recipes by Elizabeth Bard

This book is cute, because it is a love story that takes place in Paris, but it also contains recipes throughout the chapters.

4. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

I think I bought this book sometime after seeing the movie Midnight in Paris. If you haven't seen the movie, you must! I like to watch it just so I can see the city. In the movie, the main character meets Ernest Hemingway. This fiction book is about the marriage of Ernest Hemingway and Hadley and how they respond to the struggles they face while living in Paris during the Jazz Age.

5. How to be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad Habits by Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret, and Sophie Mas

This list just wouldn't be complete without this book. This is a very recent addition to my collection. It explores Parisian style, culture, beauty, and men, from the perspective of Parisian women.



No comments:

Post a Comment